Judge Holden Was Here

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sexism....Was it ever out of style?

"Don't marry a career woman," says Forbes Magazine.

They're less likely to bear children, more likely to leave you for someone better, and in a general sense, they're more likely to give you a "rocky marriage."

Well, duhhhh. Isn't this the kind of thing we all think and know, but don't say, especially since the 1950's when some of us decided to give women a fair shake.

Forbes is taking quite a lot of heat about this one. They posted the sexist article by itself, then took it down for a while, and eventually re-posted it as a point/counter-point.

At least the magazine is out of the closet about who they want in the boardrooms in America.

"Vicky! You spilt breast milk all over my assistant's notepad again!"

To be honest, I'm not all that offended. This is pretty obvious stuff, and I'm all for free speech, even if it's sexist and a touch ignorant and totally pisses off everyone that reads it outside of South Carolina.

If you marry a woman who's a career-climber and makes a lot of money, of course she's going to be less likely to have children (she's busy, stupid) and more likely to leave you if you don't keep up with her (she has her own money, stupid).

"You mean I can't treat her like property?" says Forbes. "You know, like the Koreans do."

The choice is whether you want a pushover who'll clean your underwear or a climber who'll double your income towards a retirement villa in Italy.

I know what I'll choose with my vote! (That is, if I were attractive to career-climbers and had a vote in the first place... )

6 Comments:

  • This is not exactly fair. I mean, you're right that the article takes a sexist bent and all, but to suggest that women that stay home or decide whatever they decide to do with their lives only do so because they're weak, stupid, illusioned by the patriarchy, whatever negative thing you want to put here, actually is sexist in its own right in that it purports to classify a whole group of women as not capable and all simiilar in their reasons for doing things. It's not unlike saying that all women that make it to high paid positions are ball busters. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the career woman (get out there and earn your keep!), but I've also found that there is a diversity among people that choose differnt paths than you would like.

    By Blogger HeWhoOnceWasLY, at 4:46 AM  

  • I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm aware that the post suggests that over-burdened stay-at-home mothers are lower on the scale, but I was pretty much writing this as a joke.

    I can perfectly respect a woman who has a career or chooses to get married and spend her life raising children, and I do.... AS LONG AS she wasn't guilt-tripped into that lifestyle by someone who reads Forbes magazine... My beef is with doorknob family-values ideologues who actually write articles suggesting that EVERY WOMAN should be married and have children in lieu of a career... (It isn't even better for the economy! Which is what Forbes is supposedly looking out for... more woman working = a larger GDP, no?)

    Anyways. Please don't take what I've written too seriously... I'm not a very good writer and I don't deserve that kind of attention.

    By Blogger Timothy Holden, at 6:32 AM  

  • Hickory Dickory Dock.

    This conversation is totally censored.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:27 PM  

  • I'm a fan of the Moose antler God that Stevenson worships in Deadwood.

    He's the one true path to enlightenment.

    By Blogger Timothy Holden, at 9:43 PM  

  • RICHARDSON

    ITS NOT STEVENSON

    ITS RICHARDSON

    Christ.

    PS: "Rome" is really good- better than the Sopranos has been over the last 2 seasons.

    I imagine you can grab a bootleg of season for like 15 bucks over there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 AM  

  • Thanks for the hint, and sorry for the mistake about Deadwood.

    That guy is awesome.

    By Blogger Timothy Holden, at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home