Judge Holden Was Here

Sunday, February 04, 2007

This is what I did all weekend.

Now I've seen all the movies nominated for Best Picture, except for the Clint Eastwood one, and in my brilliant opinion, THE QUEEN should win. Unless Letters from Iwo Jima is better than Platoon and Saving Private Ryan's best scenes combined, it can't possibly be better. I've watched The Queen twice, now. It's like a really good documentary.

Little Miss Sunshine is derivative and lame.

Babel is a foreign language film with Brad Pitt in it, and while it's good, the same sort of thing has been done better in Syriana and Traffic.

The Departed is entertaining and really pretty to watch, but the ending is so, so, so stupid and it's a fun-loving gangster film, and like Goodfellas before it, these movies shouldn't really be celebrated as high art, if that's what Oscars are pretending to be about. It's just a fun movie.

Oh, I also watched the Idi Amin movie, which is really scary. Obviously, Forest Whitaker is a great Amin, and he should win the Best Actor award. I can't imagine Leonardo Dicaprio or Ryan Gosling are offering up better performances. However, as one of my friends pointed out, the whole movie has you trying to feel sorry for one Scottish doctor while a quarter million Ugandans are dying. It's kind of awkward that way.

1 Comments:

  • I just saw "The Queen" as well. I'm inclined to agree with everyhting you've written. Should win Best Actress for sure.

    "Children of Men" is still one of the best movies of the year in my opinion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home